Me

Me
Better late than never, completed my MS at Boston University

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Why I love PR...


Earlier today I helped judge public relations campaigns for a major chapter of a major marketing communications association.   The quality of the entries I judged (I won’t say what category!) was better than in years past and several of the campaigns were outright brilliant.

However, not naming names, one campaign, bothered me so much that I thought it was close to PR malpractice.   The strategy and execution on this campaign were terrific, but when it came to reporting out the media results, my jaw simply dropped and I kept muttering, “this can’t be, this can’t be.”    The entry reported 11 million placements from Road Runner, 17 million on USAToday.com, 1.865 million placements from KSL.com and a herculean 150 million placements from Yahoo.

I know measurement of public relations results is a trick business, but come on, half the US population did not read an article about this campaign via Yahoo.

But it gets better.

To the right of the “circulation figures,” were reported “Publicity Values,” apparently the monetary value of the placements.   Without explaining their rationale, the authors reported the above-mentioned Yahoo article was worth $28,000 and the USAToday.com placement commanded a sticker-shocking $1 million.   The poor old KSL.com placement was worth only $230.73.  

Oh, six million impressions from CBS.com were worth $29.74.   I checked that twice.

So what the hell gives here?   Did the managing director, who signed the entry, not pay attention?  Does the agency think its clients won’t notice?  Or do they actually believe this garbage?   Public relations has a hard enough time managing credibility.  It doesn’t need to be subverted from the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment